Thursday, August 29, 2013

Meat Sauce

One thing I really enjoy making is homemade sauce.  It’s pretty simple, it comes together on its own and I’m able to control what I put in it, which in turn controls the overall points plus value when the sauce is complete. I do make a few variations (meat, no meat, vegetables, etc.) but this is my staple “go-to” when it comes to meat sauce.  I find I can have an entire pot of sauce cooked and ready to roll in under 1 hour or I can let it simmer for a few hours.  Plus, the great thing with sauce is that it truly tastes better as it marinates in the refrigerator.

When I make sauce I make a huge batch (because why else make sauce?) and usually have folks over for dinner.  I always use some of it towards dinner, the remainder is used in other dishes during the week or I end up freezing it to take out whenever I need it.

Serves 24. ½ cup serving.  2 Points Plus Values.

Ingredients:
-          1 1/8 93% ground beef
-          1 medium onion, diced
-          1 heaping tbsp minced garlic
-          2 (29 oz.) cans Contadina Crushed Tomatoes
-          1 (14 oz.) can Contadina Tomato Sauce with Italian Herbs
-          1 (14 oz.) Hunts Fire Roasted, Diced Tomatoes, slightly drained
-          1 (14 oz.) Hunts Diced Basil, Garlic & Oregano Tomatoes, slightly drained
-          1 (6 oz.) Cento Tomato Paste
-          1/3 cup Reduced Fat Parmesan
-          2 tbsp brown sugar
-          Salt, pinch
-          Black Pepper, pinch
-          Red Pepper Flakes, pinch
-          2 tsp garlic powder
-          1 1/2 tbsp Oregano

In a large non-stick sauce pan, over medium-high heat, add ground beef and onion – season with salt and pepper. Cook the mixture breaking up the ground beef as finely as possible. Make sure to stir frequently so beef cooks evenly.  When half cooked, add in minced garlic.

When the beef has browned and cooked through, begin adding in your sauce. Crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes.  Stir to combine.

Add in parmesan cheese, garlic powder, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Stir until well combined.

Allow mixture to come to a slow simmer either covered or uncovered.  After roughly 20 minutes of simmering, slowly blend in the tomato paste. Make sure to blend the tomato paste in well to avoid large clumps.

Sprinkle brown into the sauce, and stir. As sauce thickens, taste and adjust seasonings. Typically I have to add more oregano, garlic powder, and salt.

Sauce can be simmered for 20 more minutes or up to 1 hour.

No comments:

Post a Comment