Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Baked Eggplant Cutlets



I had an abundance of fresh eggplants from my uncle’s garden after house sitting for a week, so I decided to make baked eggplant cutlets with them.  I used to fry up my eggplant cutlets, but I find I enjoy them a lot more baking them.  It cuts down on the fat, is non-greasy and you can control how much you want them to crisp up in the oven.  With these, the outside is crisp and the inside is softened and depending on the freshness of your fruit it can be a little sweet.

I started making my eggplant in batches and continued until I had a whole tray worth out.  I ended up making another batch with a small eggplant a few days later just to use up all the eggplants I had.

Serving sizes will ultimately vary depending on how thin or thick you cut your eggplants. I was able to get 3 eggplant cutlets (breaded) per serving – 4 servings per batch.  By the time I was done making my eggplants, I was able to make 3 batches of this – simply adding in the ingredients into each bowl 3 separate times until all eggplants were dipped.  Of course as I got to the smaller eggplants, I was able to have more slices per serving.

Serves 4. 3 Cutlets per serving. 2 Points Plus Values.

Ingredients:
-          1/3 cup fat free egg substitute
-          ½ cup whole wheat breadcrumbs, seasoned
-          1 tbsp reduced fat parmesan cheese
-          Pinch of Salt
-          1 tsp black pepper
-          1 tsp garlic powder
-          2 tsp oregano
-          1 small-medium eggplant
-          Baking spray (like Pam)

In a medium bowl combine breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, salt, pepper, garlic powder and oregano.  Stir until mixture is well combined.

Place egg beaters in a bowl.

Wash eggplant then slice to desired thickness.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a non-stick cookie sheet with non-stick cooking spray.

Dip eggplant slice into egg mixture, drop egg dipped eggplant into breadcrumbs and coat. Place coated eggplant on baking sheet.  Repeat until no more egg and breadcrumb mixture is available.

Spray the top of the eggplants on the baking sheet, then place into the oven and bake for 12 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven, flip each eggplant then return to the oven for an additional 10 minutes.

Let the eggplants cool for roughly 5-10 minutes before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment