Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Turkey Sausage, Pepper, Onion & Cheese Omelet



I had a real hankering for an omelet.  Since I was craving it, I decided to make myself one for dinner.  The omelet I made was mighty impressive (at least in my opinion), filling and extremely low in points plus.  The only thing that could have made it better would have been a few extra veggies added into the mix.  I was quite happy with how it turned out because I enjoy my eggs a bit on the “well done” side of things and this was exactly that with the inside being softer, cheesy and filled with sausage crumbles.

Typically when I make omelets I use the same base, although I switch up what I add to it – sautéed vegetables, diced up broccoli and tomato, bacon, cheese, etc.  You name it; if I have it readily available it can be part of my omelet creation.
 
Here’s how I made my omelet:

Serves 1. 4 Points Plus Values.
  • ½ cup fat free, egg substitute
  • ½ cup Jimmy Dean turkey sausage crumbles
  • Peppers, sliced (either cooked or raw)
  • Onions, cooked, sliced
  • 1 slice fat free American cheese
  • Pepper, to taste
  • Salt, to taste

Heat a non-stick skillet, spritzed with Pam, over medium heat.

Add the egg substitute to the heated pan, sprinkle with pepper and salt. Add in peppers, onions then sprinkle with sausage crumbles. Let the mixture cook in the pan, turning the pan ever so slightly to get the raw egg to slide over onto the side of the omelet to cook.

When mixture is half-way cooked (you can see the texture changing in the egg) place cheese over one half of the omelet.

Continue to cook and when almost all “liquid” is gone, carefully fold the omelet in half. Pressing down to have the cheese work as glue to hold it together. Press the omelet softly into the frying pan, cook for roughly 1 minute before cooking to let cook on the other side.

Serve immediately.


No comments:

Post a Comment