Thursday, August 22, 2013

American Potato Salad

Potato salad is one of those side dishes I truly enjoy. Sure, it's associated with summer months but I do eat potato salad all year round. It's one of those versatile dishes that can be made in a number of ways. It doesn't have to be loaded with mayonnaise - other condiments and ingredients can be added to boost flavor while keeping the dish simple and tasteful. I personally like for the ingredients to shine through without the mayonnaise overpowering the dish and essentially "stealing the show." So here's my take on American potato salad.

Serves 6. 1/2 cup serving. 4 Points Plus Values.

Ingredients:
- 2 pound potatoes, red or white
- 1 egg hardboiled

- 1 egg hardboiled, yolk removed
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tbsp yellow mustard
- 3 tbsp red onion, finely diced
- 1/2 cup Hellmann's Light Mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp sweet relish
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste

Rinse potatoes and add to a pot filled with salted water. Add eggs and bring to a boil, cook until potatoes are fork tender.

Drain water and allow for potatoes and eggs to cool, remove potatoes from pan and cube. Add to a mixing bowl.

Remove eggs and shell. Mash one whole egg, remove the yolk from the second egg and mash.


Add the onion, relish, mustard, vinegar, salt and pepper to your potato and egg mixture folding the ingredients together. Add in the mayonnaise and gently fold together until the mixture is well combined.

Adjust salt and pepper seasoning to your liking and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm I love potato salad! It is the #1 thing my siblings and I request from my mom during the summer months. Are you a fan of sweet potato salad over savory? My mom makes a savory potato salad and I think I prefer it over sweet. It includes potatoes, onions, boiled eggs, salt, mayo, and celery seed. So yummy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like savory more-so than sweet. There's one with a Goya seasoning (Adobo) in it that I love and its potatoes, eggs, pimentos, a little bit of mayo and seasoning -- and you eat that hot. SO good!! The only sweetness I like in potato salad is fresh apples but I don't like sugar in it, which is why I don't buy store bought.

      Delete