Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Trader Joe’s Chipotle Pepper Hummus

I’m a big fan of hummus – have been since I was a kid, but it wasn’t until my late teen years that I started to experiment with flavored hummus.  I’ve only ever tried roasted red pepper hummus and garlic hummus before I was introduced to the fabulous flavor combinations at Trader Joe’s.  I’ve posted about their Horseradish Hummus which is a slam dunk – but my taste buds were looking for something new.  I saw this Chipotle Pepper Hummus and decided to give it a shot. I’ve had a bad experience with a Mexican soup with chipotle pepper in it, but putting that experience aside, I figured it couldn’t be SO overly spicy that it’d be killer because hummus itself is very strong and helps mute flavors.

I first opened the hummus and was surprised by the texture. It wasn’t as “smooth” as most hummus’ appear in their container.  I added the two tablespoons onto a tortilla wrap to enjoy with a sandwich and tried it first.  It definitely has a mild smoky flavor, with a subtle hint of spice in the background. It’s packed with flavor and totally delicious.  But I will say the consistency is very light and airy. It’s not as thick and heavy as most hummus’ tend to be.

As with most hummus’ a serving is 2 tablespoons, which is quite a generous serving.  A serving is 50 calories, or 1 points plus value. I’ve quite enjoyed this hummus and I’ve used it on sandwiches as a replacement to condiments such as mayonnaise and mustard.  It’d also be perfect with some crackers or even some fresh veggies to dip into it.

QUESTION:
What is your favorite hummus flavor?

No comments:

Post a Comment