Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Inside Out Sauerkraut Pierogi Pasta (Take 2)

I have made a variation of this before using egg noodles, but I decided to remake it using egg fettuccine Carba-nada noodles. I love Carba-nada noodles because they taste just like regular fettuccine pasta although I’m able to have a 1 ½ cup serving for only 3 points plus values.

On this particular night I was craving sauerkraut, so I whipped up a batch (well, two one for dinner and one for lunch the next day). My mother always cooked our sauerkraut with onion and butter, so that’s how I make mine … although I do skip on the butter and use spray butter just to get a buttery flavor in the mix without all the added fat. After all, I’m looking for a sauerkraut and onion flavor, not a greasy buttery flavor.

I found the sheer volume of food on my plate was wowing. Especially since it was only 3 points plus values worth!

Serves 1. 3 Points Plus Values.
-          1 ½ cups Carba-Nada, Egg Fettuccine
-          1 can sauerkraut, drained and squeezed
-          1 small onion, sliced
-          Salt, to taste
-          Pepper, to taste
-          Spray butter
-          2 tbsp water

Bring a small pan of salted water up to boil.

In a non-stick skillet begin to sauté onion. Cook until onion begins to brown and cook.  Add in 2 tbsp of water and stir, fold in drained sauerkraut and break apart with spoon.  Season with black pepper and salt.

Pressing sauerkraut into the pan to warm through, spritz with spray butter to give the dish a buttery flavor. Continue to fold and cook for roughly 2 minutes before removing from the heat.

When pasta is cooked, drain and return to the pan. Add in ½ the sauerkraut mixture and stir to combine.

Plate up and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment