Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Trader Joe’s Lobster Ravioli



I introduced my mother to the amazingness that is Trader Joe’s.  While there, she spotted the Trader Joe’s Lobster Ravioli and wanted to give it a try.  I vouched that I’d try it with her even though I am truly not a lobster fan.  I’ve tried to eat lobster numerous times, but I just can’t get past the texture.  I know I know … I’m a bad New Englander!

Typically I love Trader Joe’s items and had high hopes that this would transform me into a lobster lover. I mean, ravioli’s are delicious, so I was hoping it was possible. I mean I began to enjoy shrimp after my mother started making her homemade bake stuffed shrimp so I feel anything is possible!

These were boiled per the package directions and once cooked, removed from the water. My mom had her serving with butter on it and I spritzed mine with spray butter.  I was a little hesitant because the ravioli had a very strong fishy scent just sitting in the bowl.  Considering I’m not the biggest fan of seafood, I was a little turned off.  But I decided I’d give it my all…

First bite I thought these are very fishy. Second bite, it started to taste like the inner portion of a very fishy crab cake (and it resembled one, but a red colored crab cake). Third bite (this from one ravioli BTW) I was completely repulsed and couldn’t handle anymore.  These are just HORRIBLE!  My mom, who is a lobster fan, was completely repulsed by these.  She ate almost 2 ravioli and threw in the towel.  I admit, she was a lot braver than I because I threw in the towel after 1. Her facial expression said it all, but she did let me know they were completely disgusting.

High hopes aside, this is an item I will not be repurchasing ever again.  A serving was ½ the container – roughly 6 ravioli and the serving was 7 points plus. Not worth even the few points I threw away testing these out. Yuck!

QUESTION:
What is one food you had high hopes for but it turned out to be a giant flop?

No comments:

Post a Comment