Sunday, August 25, 2013

Sautéed Veggies w/ Olive Oil and Garlic

I stayed at my aunt and uncles house for the week dog, cat and bird sitting.  While there my uncle pointed out he had a garden outback and I should make myself at home and pick fresh veggies.  So I did just that … because if I didn’t, frankly, they’d end up going bad and that just defeats the purpose of a garden.  That morning I was able to pick a fresh zucchini, yellow squash and a bunch of fresh green beans. Not entirely sure what I wanted to do with them I cleaned them and put them in a bowl on the counter – then later in the afternoon decided I’d make a quick sauté to go alongside dinner. It was perfect. Fresh, delicious and perfectly garlicy (since I LOVE garlic)!

Since I didn’t want to drown them in butter and oil as most sauté dishes tend to go, I decided to blanch the vegetables in salted boiling water for a few seconds each and removed them from the pan and drained them before sautéing.

Serves 3. Serving size: 1/3 recipe. 1 Points Plus Value.

-          1 medium zucchini, sliced
-          1 medium yellow squash, sliced
-          2 cups Green beans, “veins” removed
-          1 tbsp olive oil
-          1 tbsp minced garlic
-          Black pepper, to taste
-          Salt, to taste
-          Oregano, to taste
-          Garlic powder, to taste

Bring a pot of salted water up to boil. Once boiling drop sets of vegetables into the water and allow blanching for under a minute.  Remove blanched vegetables from the water and continue until all vegetables are blanched and removed from the water. Drain any excess liquid from the vegetables.

In a non-stick skillet, add in 1 tbsp olive oil and a tablespoon of minced garlic.  Allow to sauté for 30 seconds or so before adding in the vegetables. Toss and stir vegetables to allow evenly coating in the olive oil. Sprinkle vegetables with garlic powder, black pepper, salt and oregano. Toss to combine.  Allow to sauté for 3-4 minutes before removing from the flame.

No comments:

Post a Comment