Friday, August 23, 2013

Never say never ... but not in this case

"I'm not losing weight. I'm getting rid of it. I have no intention of finding it again."
 
This quote is one that I've grown to love over the years. Why? Because I don't have any intention of finding the 194+ pounds I have shed over the past 3 1/2 years ever again. I'm in it to win it and I'm doing it all for myself.

I've always struggled with my weight. In the past, I have lost weight for other people (primarily for family). My weight was unhealthy for a person my age (from 5-years old and on) and approaching someone to tell them you believe they need to lose weight is a hard and sensitive subject. I've heard it being said from a lot of people all throughout my life. But the thing is if the person you're approaching isn't in the right mindset it can do one of two things 1) go in one ear and out the other or 2) it can backfire and cause a confrontation OR send the person you're confronting into a proverbial tailspin. In some cases that intervention may be the talk that sets the lightbulb off in a persons head, but for me it never was because I knew I was fat, I knew the world knew I was fat so you weren't laying a big secret on me, your concern was only making me uncomfortable. My family would try to approach the topic but I didn't want to hear it and I'd eventually turn to food for comfort, which only ballooned my waistline even further. Then after a while I'd give in, lose some weight and eventually gain it back because I wasn't doing it for me, I was doing it for others. Back then, these attempts at health were done with a diet mentality. I personally didn't want to change, but I was going to do it just because ... and when times got tough I threw my hands in the air and ate myself silly.

There was a time where I joined Weight Watchers with my mother. My mom was joining and she asked if I'd like to join, so I hopped on board. I enjoyed seeing the scale move. I was following the program and it was working. But since the choice to join wasn't ultimately one that I came up with when my mother stopped attending meetings, I stopped attending meetings. I left the program and the tools I learned at the wayside and ultimately gained all the weight I had lost back.

The difference between the journey I'm currently on and any attempt at weight loss in the past is that I'm doing it for me this time around. I joined Weight Watchers on my own. No one suggested I join, no one hinted I should join, I made the choice and kept that choice to myself because I didn't want anybody to try and suggest it to me because that would've made me quit before I had the chance to try. What can I say? I have a very hard head at times. I'm stubborn. I don't like being told what to do whether it's for the best or not.

After joining Weight Watchers and shedding pounds week by week, I started to feel better about myself. My dad came to me and told me he was proud of me for taking the initiative to get healthy for myself. It was a very touching moment for me and it's one I'll always remember because it solidified the fact that yes, I was doing this for myself and those closest to me saw that.
 
Three and a half years later I am the healthiest and smallest I have been since grade school. I don't ever recall a time when I was the weight I currently am (I can't say size because I was not 5'6 in 4th or 5th grade when I was more than likely the weight I currently am now - which back then was obese for someone my age). Physical changes aside, my life is so vastly different compared to how it used to be. Four years ago, I was a human hermit crab. I never left my shell (home or my humble abode AKA my bedroom) and if I did it was briefly and only to do whatever I had to do (work, school, picking up food, etc.). I lived behind my computer playing games and RPG's to pass the time and to take the focus off my life.
 
These days life is vastly different - life is enjoyable. I'm not ashamed of myself and do not mind going out. I still am a bit shy, but I'm working on coming out of my shell more and more. I don't live behind a computer playing games to mask my miserable life. These days I use my computer as a tool to connect with others, to share my journey and to keep in touch with friends and family. But it's merely a tool -- it's not my one and only. I enjoy life now and I most importantly know what happiness is. I know that I deserve the best and I will get it as long as I put my best foot forward. I have a bright outlook on life and feel I am utterly unstoppable. I can do anything I want as long as I set my mind to it. Positivity fuels me instead of negativity clouding my judgment.

I know the saying goes "never say never" BUT I refuse to allow any shadow of doubt regarding my weight loss and my eventual maintenance. I realize life happens and there will always inevitably be minor bumps in the road but I need to learn to cope with those instances, learn from them and as always keep it moving. It's my life after all and I'm going to make the best of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment