Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Eggplant Caponata



Eggplant Caponata is a dish my aunt actually introduced me to. She’d make this for parties at her house and it is totally delicious. I enjoyed it so much she gave me the recipe.  I decided to whip this up (actually, I tripled the batch – which wasn’t the original plan but I peeled two eggplants which gave me 9 cups of eggplant) to bring it to my aunts party as an appetizer dish to put out on the tables.

The tedious task sits in cutting up all the vegetables, but once that’s done its smooth sailing. It comes together quickly, simmers for a short period of time and can be eaten either hot or cold. The caponata does taste so much better after it’s had a chance to marinate in the fridge 1-2 days.  I would say, I’d eat the caponata over pasta while it’s hot, but then after its cold I prefer it with crackers.

Serves 15. ~ 1/4 cup serving. 2 points plus.
-          3 cups eggplant, peeled and cubed
-          1/3 cup olive oil
-          1 medium onion, chopped
-          3 cloves garlic, crushed (or you can use minced jar garlic)
-          ½ cup chopped green pepper
-          2 celery stalks, chopped
-          ½ cup black olives, chopped
-          1 can tomato paste
-          ¼ cup water
-          2 tbsp red wine vinegar
-          1 tsp oregano
-          1 tsp salt
-          1 tsp black pepper
-          ½ tsp sugar

Place a large pot over medium, high heat.  Add in oil, garlic and onions and sauté until onions are slightly translucent.

Add in eggplant, celery, and green pepper. Stir frequently and cook down until eggplant begins to soften.

Add in olives, sugar, black pepper, salt, oregano, and red wine vinegar.  Mix tomato paste and water together and gently fold into the mixture until all ingredients are well combined.

Lower heat to low, cover and simmer for 30 minutes.

Serve hot or cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment