Sunday, August 18, 2013

Roasted Acorn Squash with Brown Sugar

Acorn squash ... a hidden jewel in the squash world. At least in my opinion. Growing up my mother would make roasted acorn squash with butter and brown sugar typically on Sunday to go alongside Sunday dinner. Since I was a youngster this dish has always been a favorite of mine. Because I enjoy it so much I've incorporated it into my lifestyle - deciding to pull back on the amount of brown sugar sprinkled into each squash half and eliminating the butter. I find using a bit of spray butter gives the dish a mild butter flavor and the brown sugar works wonders because it helps caramelize the squash and really enhances the squashes flavor.
 
I cooked up 2 acorn squashes, but for the purpose of this very simple recipe you could cook as many or as few squash as you choose. The points plus would not differ, unless you were to eat a whole squash as a meal.
 
I enjoy and serve these in their original form. I do not scoop the pulp out of the skin. I find scooping it out myself makes for a little bit of a fun eating experience.

Serves 4. 1 Points Plus Value.
Ingredients:
- 2 Acorn squash, cut in half, seeds removed
- 4 tbsp brown sugar
- 8 sprays, butter flavored spray (Spray Butter)

 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
 

Place halved acorn squash on a non-stick baking sheet. Spray each half with 2 sprays of butter spray then add in 1 tbsp of brown sugar to each squash half.

Bake in oven for roughly 45 minutes. Keep in mind cooking times may vary depending on the size and thickness of your acorn squash. If it's not done at the end of 45 minutes extend the cooking time by 10 minutes until done. It's done when a fork can be inserted into the squash pulp easily.
 

Plate up & enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment