Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Betty Crocker Cornbread Muffins

Ahh … cornbread! I developed a deep love for cornbread as a youngster. My dad would make hands down THE best cornbread.  He’d add real corn into it and sometimes he’d jazz it up with some jalapeno for a little spice. So, good!  And I admit, not so healthy in the quantities I’d eat it in.

These days, I don’t have cornbread very often – but when I saw this Betty Crocker cornbread muffin mix, I had to pick it up.  I calculated out the points for just the mix alone and figured instead of adding all the “fatty” stuff it called for, I’d try to jazz it up and make it points plus friendly.  Turns out my experimental baking was perfect because the cornbread muffins turned out absolutely perfect.  I was even asked as I served them up “You really made these with apple sauce? They’re so good!”

I emptied the cornbread packet into a bowl, added in ½ cup of natural unsweetened apple sauce and ¼ cup of water. I mixed it until everything was well combined – then transferred equal parts of the batter into muffin tins. I made 6 muffins and they came out perfect after being baked in the oven.  I did eat one as they were nice and warm and it was delicious. It was moist with a slight hint of apple lingering in the background.  A few spritz of spray butter on the top and I certainly did not miss the full-fat homemade version.

The greatest part was that each cornbread muffin was only 3 points plus values! Quite a steal when compared to any other cornbread muffin or cornbread loaf.

QUESTION:
How do you make your cornbread?

No comments:

Post a Comment