Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Eggplant Pizza

My leader shared a recipe for Eggplant Pizza and I decided I needed to try it. I had an abundance of eggplants from my uncle’s garden and after making boatloads of baked eggplant cutlets, I used the last eggplant to make eggplant pizzas.

I lined a baking sheet with a cooling rack and lined my eggplants on the rack. I brushed 2 teaspoons of olive oil over top and bottom of the eggplants, and then put them into a 350 degree oven to bake for 10 minutes. After that I removed them from the oven and put them back in for another 5.  The eggplants had browned (in color) but I found even just from baking them they were really soft and didn’t crisp up at all.  I hoped by returning them back to the oven with the sauce and cheese it might crisp up … but it didn’t.  Sadly, they looked a lot better than they tasted.  The eggplants were just loose and limp.  I think if I was to remake these, I would brush the eggplants, but lay them straight onto a Pam sprayed baking sheet and bake like that until they crisped up or firmed.  Then I would put the cheese and sauce on them and finish baking.

If you would like to give them a try in hopes you like them, here’s the recipe:

Serves 2. 3 Points Plus Values.

1 small eggplant, sliced
½ cup pizza or marinara sauce (I used Trader Joe’s Marinara sauce)
½ cup cheese (I used Fat Free Kraft Mozzarella)
2 teaspoons olive oil
Hormel Turkey Pepperoni

Place oil brushed eggplants on a cooling rack and bake in a 350 degree oven for 7-10 minutes.  Flip and cook for an additional 5 minutes.

Spoon sauce onto each eggplant base, top with cheese and additional toppings, then return to the oven for 5 minutes or so until cheese is melted.

No comments:

Post a Comment