Thursday, July 17, 2014

Trader Joe's Trader Ming's Kung Pao Chicken

I enjoy Asian cuisine, although I don't always go out for it because it 1) many of the dishes are too high in calories for my liking, 2) most are loaded with sodium and 3) I find myself wanting to pick at different things instead of sticking with one solid dish.  Although, over the last few years, I have found myself making Asian cuisines at home (whether homemade or store bought) and I find I can get the flavors I'm looking for in portion size.
Scanning the selection of frozen cuisine, I decided to pick up a bag of Trader Mings Trader Joe's Kung Pao Chicken to give a try. The bag lists the dish as "a savory dish of tender dark meat chicken and mixed vegetables in a spicy soy ginger sauce."  The picture on the bag looked promising and the directions were cut and dry. This meant dinner would be done in a breeze before I knew it.
Following the directions on the bag, dinner was done in under 10 minutes. A little olive oil in the pan then I cooked up the chicken, once complete I added in the vegetables and let them cook down a bit.  Then I added in the sauce and then the peanuts.  The dish itself is filling, flavorful and delicious. It tastes like take out so there's no feeling of being gypped out of a meal you've been waiting for.
If you're not a fan of spicy - you may not enjoy this. The dish is indeed hot ... borderline mouth on fire spicy.  There are red chili's in the dish (which I made sure to pick out before serving) and if you were to accidentally eat one, I can't say you'd have a pleasant experience. A serving is truly plentiful and alongside some fried rice (I recommend Trader Joe's Vegetable Fried Rice) and a vegetable of your choice it's a complete and delicious meal.
A serving, 1 cup (150g) is 240 calories or 6 points plus values.

No comments:

Post a Comment