Sunday, July 27, 2014

Sweet Pepper Nachos



I would have never dreamed up this combination if it weren't for my Weight Watchers leader sharing the idea. She picked up the idea from a member in her meeting... she enjoyed it so much she shared at my meeting. It just happened to be during one of our meetings where we were talking about boosting up the fiber in your diet. I was sitting in my chair, intrigued because ... I was actually having tacos that night after my meeting. Before my meeting, I planned on having soft shell tacos ... but that idea went out the window when I heard this because I HAD to give it a try.

The end result was a delicious concoction that was not only satisfying, filling and very tasty ... but it was unique. So unique that I had it the next day for lunch as well. I did find I enjoyed the dish more chopping the peppers up into small pieces (it allowed the peppers to cook faster). I found allowing the peppers to cook in the oven for a bit before adding the toppings onto the peppers. While having the peppers whole I found I had to cook them longer (some of the larger peppers stayed crunchier in comparison to the smaller peppers).

Assembling the peppers – either chopped or in half, is simple. I popped my chopped or half peppers into a 350 degree oven for 5-8 minutes just to pre-cook them slightly. After that it’s merely ½ cup fat free refried beans spread equally into the peppers or over them. I then topped the refried beans with 3 oz of scrambled taco meat. Topping it off with ¼ cup fat free shredded mozzarella (I’d have used cheddar but I didn’t have any). I popped the assembled nachos oven and baked for roughly 15 minutes. When done, I plated it up, garnished with some shredded iceberg (for added crunch), diced tomatoes and some chunky salsa.

Delicious, fabulous, filling and only 7 points plus!

No comments:

Post a Comment