Tuesday, July 8, 2014

Trader Joe's Rolled Oats

Ever since I got myself on an oatmeal frenzy ... I had been eating oatmeal nearly daily for months on end. I had been purchasing quick cook oats from my local grocery store ... yet every time I went to Trader Joe's, I'd give their oatmeal selections the once over but refrained from picking up a bag of oatmeal to try since I'd have a fresh new container at the house. Well, on one of my last shopping trips I was running out of oatmeal ... so I decided it was my chance to try out the Trader Joe's Rolled Oats.  And all I can say is ... boy, am I glad I did!
 
When I opened the bag I have to admit ... I was surprised by what I saw. Whole oats ... not crumbled "dusty" flakes compared to the stuff I had been purchasing. Checking out the nutrition facts I took note the protein is higher by a gram and the carbs are slightly lower in comparison to the quick cook oats I was buying for months on end.
 
The bag states to mix 1/2 cup oats with 1 cup water and microwave for 2 minutes, stir then cook for another minute. I find I have to add a smidge more water (I do 1/2 cup silk almond milk, 3/4 cup water and a sliced banana) and microwave it 5 minutes. The 3 minutes leaves water in the bowl and leaves the oats crunchy. I'm not a crunchy oatmeal girl ... so 5 minutes does the trick and it comes out perfect. The oats are still intact but they're cooked and not crunchy bits.
 
I have to say ... I really am enjoying these! They're filling, a bit more filling than what I was using in the past. I have yet to try these in any baked goods - i.e. oatmeal cookies, etc., but I think they'd turn out just fine.
 
Price wise, these are a little higher than what I was buying - but the benefits outweigh the cost. The oatmeal is 100% whole grains, wheat free, dairy free, gluten free and it contains no artificial colors or ingredients.
 
A 1/2 cup serving is 150 calories or 4 points plus values.

No comments:

Post a Comment