Monday, July 7, 2014

Betty Crocker Watermelon Cupcakes

Spring and summer months my favorite fruit is hands down, watermelon. I find myself trying watermelon flavored items – cookies, candies, ice creams, etc.  Needless to say when I spotted this Betty Crocker Watermelon Cupcakes boxed cake mix at Target … I had to purchase it. I mean, what could be the worst thing that happened?

As with any boxed cake mix, whipping it together is easy breezy … especially if you’re skipping the eggs, water and oil and simply using diet soda or soda water. Once combined, the mixture definitely has a watermelon scent to it. My cupcakes baked up in 10 minutes.

In stores, Target was also selling a watermelon flavored frosting. Since I felt it would be too much of one flavor, I opted to use cool whip as a frosting. 2 tablespoons of cool whip per cupcake and they were perfect. They definitely have a watermelon flavor and scent to them. It has that Jolly Rancher flavor vibe to it, but not overwhelmingly artificial. There is “watermelon seeds” running throughout the batter – but they’re more like black funfetti beads.  Overall this is a unique and fun cake mix that is definitely good for a summer party/barbecue.

If the mix is made with diet soda or soda water (making 24 cupcakes) each cupcake is 65 calories or 2 points plus values. Or if you make giant cupcakes (12 servings) it’d be 130 calories or 4 points plus values.

No comments:

Post a Comment