Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Trader Joe's Balela



I was on a 'mission' to amp up my salads and make them tastier and unique. While browsing the shelves in the refrigerated section, I spotted and picked up a container of Trader Joe's Balela.

According to the label it's a savory Middle Eastern salad with chick peas, black beans and tomatoes. Chick peas are undoubtedly at the forefront in this dish - the black beans and tomatoes taking a much milder approach (but they're still there). There is a bit of a dressing with the beans, which is slightly tangy but delicious. There are also onion bits and parsley bits running throughout the dish. It's refreshing, unique and goes well with salads with or without added protein (steak/chicken/etc). Flavor wise it kind of reminds me of tabouli (a parsley based Mediterranean salad dish).

I found it to be a great way to increase the fiber/protein in a meal without putting too much thought into it.  In my store, this is located in the refrigerator section near the deli meats and prepared meals. Overall I feel if you enjoy Mediterranean dishes then you’d be pleased with this.

A 1/4 cup serving is 100 calories or 2 points plus values.

No comments:

Post a Comment