Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Trader Joe's Cowboy Caviar



Around the time this Trader Joe's Cowboy Caviar was featured on the Trader Joe's Fearless Flyer I was intrigued. Intrigued, but a little scared. Perhaps it was the word caviar that installed some fear in me ... because all I could think was salty fish eggs. Not that this salsa would have salty fish eggs in it ... but you know how the mind works sometimes. Finally, fear set aside, I picked up a jar to give it a try.

Looking at the salsa through the jar, you can see it's a rather unique blend of corn, black bean onions and bell peppers. Yet, according to the Trader Joe's website it's pickled in a blend of chipolte peppers, adobo sauce and lime juice concentrate. I'm sure that's noted on the bottle but I didn't know that until I actually opened the jar.

The salsa itself is moderately thick. It's filled with corn, black beans, peppers and onions which is a plus because sometimes salsas are overwhelmed with tomatoes.  The Cowboy Caviar does have a spicy/hot category to it, there's also a mild level of sweetness to it. I served myself 4 tablespoons and enjoyed them with some salty tortilla chips and found it balanced it out ... although there was a minor burning sensation in my mouth afterwards. Not painful, but noticeable.

Since I typically relate salsa to chips or salsa to taco salad that's about as far as I've tried this. Although from what I've read on Trader Joe's website they suggest using this as a sauce on a pizza. Now, I admit ... that'd be a mighty interesting, tasty pizza.

A serving, 2 tablespoons, is 25 calories or 1 points plus values or you could have 4 tablespoons for 50 calories and 1 points plus.

No comments:

Post a Comment