Sunday, July 20, 2014

Easy Breakfast Casserole


Trying to get different breakfasts flowing in my head I resorted to a good ole Google search. I tend to fall into the same sorts of meal ideas for breakfast. So stepping outside the box, I found an Easy Cheesy Breakfast Casserole dish on Betty Crocker’s website. It looked tasty, so I decided to give it a try, but worked on lightening it up by switching out ingredients.

Initially I created the recipe using frozen hash brown potatoes and extra mozzarella shredded cheese … until I went into the kitchen, was rushing, got side tracked and forgot a few ingredients (the hash browns and additional cheese). Initially I remembered I forgot the two after it had baked and had enough time to begin cooking.

Regardless of the missing ingredients the casserole did come out quite well. Although with hash browns it would have been out of this world delicious.

Here’s how I made my breakfast bake:

Serves 6. 3 points plus a serving OR Serves 4. 4 Points Plus/serving
Ingredients:
  • 1 cup eggbeaters
  • ½ cup egg whites
  • 2/3 cup uncooked bell pepper, diced
  • ¼ cup onion, diced
  • ½ cup mushrooms, diced
  • 1 cup Jimmy Dean turkey sausage crumbles
  • ½ cup Bisquick Heart Smart
  • ¼ cup Kraft shredded fat free mozzarella

Preheat oven to 350.

Spray the bottom of a casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.



In a non-stick skillet add in bell peppers, onions and mushrooms and cook until vegetables soften (onions should be translucent). This step is optional but I find the onions can stay crisp if not cooked.

Add vegetable mixture, sausage crumbles, and cheese to the bottom of the casserole dish.

In a medium bowl combine eggbeaters, egg whites and bisquick and mix together until combined. Then top the vegetable and sausage mixture, sprinkle with cheese and place into the oven.

Bake for 30-35 minutes until casserole is cooked through completely.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete