Sunday, July 6, 2014

Isa Does It: Black Bean Island Burgers

Flipping through a vegetarian cookbook, Isa Does It, I found a veggie burger recipe that really struck my fancy. I enjoy Jamaican cuisine and this particular recipe was along the lines of that.  Usually I purchase premade frozen veggie burgers, so this was the first time I had made homemade veggie burgers at home.

Since I had the ingredients at home, I decided to give it a shot. It calls for a salsa/slaw to be put on the top … but in all honestly, I didn’t make it and after trying the burgers I wish that I had.  Since these are made with curry powder, it’s not necessarily a flavor category that goes well with your traditional burger toppings (ketchup, mustard, etc.).

I did follow the directions regarding all ingredients  (except I cut back on the curry powder as I was using authentic Jamaican curry and the listed amount would’ve made these too spicy to consume) – although I formed my patties by hand and layered them onto a baking tray layered with parchment paper. I then popped them into the oven. When it came time to flip them … I wish I only cooked them for a few minutes longer (2-3) because I found cooking per directions it made them too dry and far too crunchy.

Nonetheless, they were a unique and different meal. Although that nectarine salsa would bring them to a whole new flavor level!

The burgers calculates out to 3 points plus.

For the burgers:
15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
15 oz can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
½ cup finely copped bell pepper
1 cup finely chopped scallion
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons Jamaican curry powder
1 teaspoon salt
¼ cup vegetable broth
2 teaspoons lime juice
1 cup panko bread crumbs

For the nectarine salsa:
2 nectarines, diced into ¼ inch pieces
¼ cup finely diced red onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 jalapeno seeded and finely chopped
1 teaspoon agava nectar

Olive oil for spraying/brushing the pan
8 burger buns

Preheat oven to 400*F
In a medium bowl, use a small potato masher (or a strong fork) to mash the beans.  They should be good and mushy but not totally pureed, with a few beans still identifiable in the mix.

Add the red pepper, scallions, cilantro, curry powder, salt, broth, and lime juice and mix well.  Mix in the panko bread crumbs until it all holds together.  Refrigerate for 10 minutes or so. 

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.  Form the burger mixture into 8 patties that are about 1 inch thick.  You can spray the parchment paper with olive oil spray and then spray the tops of the burgers as well. Bake for 15 minutes.  Flip the burgers and bake for 12-15 more minutes, or until nicely browned. 

To make the salsa – simply add everything to a bowl and mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment