Friday, October 4, 2013

Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Bread & Muffin Mix

I’m a sucker for pumpkin desserts (I mean, what else is new) and because I had tried the Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Bread & Muffin Mix last year and was quite a fan. I like this mix because it’s one of the most versatile mixes because it’s advertised as a bread or muffin … but I tend to enjoy making this as a cake.

The mix calls for eggs, oil and water to be added to it – but when baking I typically try to cut corners and make it healthier.  So, with this particular mix I make my pumpkin cake with sugar free apple sauce and water. I simply add 1 cup water and ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce mix it up until incorporated and add it to a Pam spritzed cake pan. They come out perfect every time! Moist and delicious.  The apple sauce doesn’t give it an apple flavor; it’s truly not noticeable when added in, but the cake does have a unique moistness to it.  I cooked this up on a whim after wanting dessert that night and no one had any idea I made it with apple sauce and water. When I finally let the cat out of the bag, everyone was surprised and shocked.

¼ cup of mix is 150 calories, or 4 points plus.  With the apple sauce and water each slice remains at 4 points plus.  Whereas if the oil, eggs and water were added the nutrition info and points plus would need to be recalculated.

QUESTION:
What is your favorite pumpkin flavored baking item?

No comments:

Post a Comment