Sunday, October 27, 2013

Delicata Squash

While at Trader Joe’s I spotted the Delicata Squash and picked one up. I happen to love squash and I had never tried this particular type so I was a little excited.  While checking out the cashier had let me know that because the skin on the squash is so thin, if roasted, you can eat the skin.

Delicata squash is a yellow squash with green, almost, lining/spotting running throughout the skin.  It’s a winter squash and can truly be cooked in any way you enjoy – roasted, microwaved, steamed or sautéed.  I decided to go with the roasting method because that’s how I most enjoy my squashes.  I cut the squash in half, scooped out the seeds and put them skin side down on a baking sheet and put them into a 350 degree oven for roughly 30 minutes.

They came out perfect. Nice and tender, the skins were soft (and edible, I was quite surprised). It tastes of squash, but it’s a sweet squash and is a little reminiscent of sweet potato.  It was perfect plain as is which is how I ended up eating mine. From what I’ve heard you could even stuff these with whatever you choose and have a delicata squash boat.  I enjoyed it so much when I go to Trader Joe’s this week I plan on picking up at least a few more.

QUESTION:
Do you have a favorite squash?

No comments:

Post a Comment