Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Trader Joe’s Chocolate and Vanilla Macarons



Macarons!  Apparently to never be misconstrued or misspelled as macaroons.  I never thought I’d lay my eyes on the actual thing.  That is until I spotted and purchased these Chocolate and Vanilla Macarons from Trader Joe’s!  I live in an area where the French delicacy is not sold.  I’ve heard other specialty food shops sold them – but my local locations do not.  In my area coconut macaroons are a big seller and are sold in numerous stores and specialty bake shops (particularly Italian bakeries).

These macarons were $4.99 for the box and were sold out of the freezer section at my local Trader Joe’s.  The only packaged flavor available at my location was the chocolate and vanilla variety.  I let the cookies defrost per the package directions and enjoyed.

Since I’ve never had the cookie before I have nothing to compare against – but I have to say I really loved these!  They were soft, moderately chewy and not very sweet.  They did break apart very easily, but I suspect that’s due to freezing, defrosting and bouncing around in the shopping bag in the trunk of the car.  I found the vanilla cream (frosting) was a lot softer and was spilling out of the macaron whereas the chocolate was firmer and stayed in place.

2 cookies are a serving size and they only translated into being 2 points plus values. Completely worth it, worth the experience and just plain delicious all around.  I’m a fan.  I’m also glad macarons are not sold in my area (at least no place that I know of) because I’d have to taste test.  I’ve taste tested the coconut macaroons at my local Italian bakery in the past – so I can see possible “damage” if they were sold around me like the coconut macaroons are.  But nonetheless I would and will repurchase these again … so please, Trader Joe’s, do NOT discontinue these!

QUESTION:
Have you tried Trader Joe’s macarons? Did you enjoy them?  If not, have you ever had a macaron?

1 comment:

  1. I have not tried trader joes but bought macarons from Whole foods last night and was wondering about the points. Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete