Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Berry Dump Cake


After hearing so much about dump cake I decided to make my own rendition.  I knew the recipe contained 3 items – cake mix, fruit and diet soda.  While shopping I picked up a bag of frozen berries and a box of cake mix because a fruity cake sounded delicious.  Upon getting home and assembling the cake, I found the single bag of frozen berries were not enough but thankfully I had ¾’s of another bag of frozen fruit in the freezer so I added that into the tray.

The cake turned out to be quite delicious.  Actually, I wouldn’t quite call it a cake because it was more of a berry cobbler.  The topping was a cake consistency, but the bottom was wet like cobbler is.  I do want to point out that this can sit for roughly 2 days but on the third day the top portion of the cake will become wet and gooey because the berries eventually get the better of it.  Because of that I’d suggest having this when you’re having people over who can enjoy it.

I used an assortment of berries on this particular “trial run” but I do want to make this with frozen peaches for a summer BBQ.  I think that’d be ultimately fantastic!
 
4 Points Plus per serving.  Serves 12.

Ingredients:
  • Betty Crocker Super Moist French Vanilla cake mix
  • Fresca diet soda
  • Wyman’s Frozen Mixed Berries (You can use 2 bags of these berries, or mix up any combination of frozen fruit you’d like to try)
  • Trader Joe’s Frozen Very Cherry Berry Blend
  • Spray butter (optional)
  • Non-stick cooking spray

Preheat your oven per box directions.

Spray a 13x9 cake pan with non-stick cooking spray.

Empty the bags of frozen fruit into the bottom of the cake pan.  Sprinkle fruit with dry cake mix, have cake mix cover fruit evenly trying to avoid any potential clumps of dry cake mix.  Slowly pour the diet soda over the cake mix.

Bake in the oven.  Cooking times will vary, but I cooked mine for 35 minutes, took the cake out of the oven, spritzed the top with spray butter and put back into the oven for another 5 minutes.

The cake was yummy, especially with some fat free cool whip.  If serving at a BBQ, this would be fabulous with some ice cream over a warm piece of dump cake. Yum! Talk about a guilt free dessert!



No comments:

Post a Comment