Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Breakfast Burritos


Move over McDonald’s there’s a new breakfast burrito in town!  And a healthy breakfast burrito at that!

Last week I wanted something different for breakfast, so different is what I got.  I decided to make myself 2 breakfast burritos because I had one turkey sausage in the fridge and I wanted to use it up.  I found these turkey sausages at a local grocery store, Aldi, and have been hooked. They are quite possibly the best turkey sausages I have ever tried.  The greatest part is one sausage is only 2 points plus values and it tastes just like a pork sausage – it’s crazy (on my tastebuds).

These two burritos were only 6 points plus values!  Not only were they very low in points, but they were tasty, filling and a substantial breakfast that held me over well into lunch time.  I did serve these along side some cut up fresh strawberries.

Serves 1. 6 Points Plus Values.
  • ½ cup liquid egg substitute (Egg Beaters)
  • Turkey sausage link (if you cannot find a similar sausage, use a sausage that’s 2 points plus values)
  • 4 slices Hormel turkey pepperoni
  • 5-6 slices of frozen bell pepper
  • 1g (~1 ½ tablespoons) fat free shredded mozzarella
  • 2 Joseph’s Flax, Oat Bran & Wheat Flour Tortillas
  • Black pepper (to taste)
  • Salt (to taste)

Slice your cooked sausage into slices and quarter the pepperoni slices.

Add the frozen bell peppers to the pan and stir for 15 or so seconds (just to allow the frost to dissipate).  Add the ½ cup of egg substitute to a nonstick skillet (you can spray with Pam just to ensure it won’t stick). Sprinkle with pepper and salt.

Scramble the eggs frequently to ensure the mixture cooks evenly.  Sprinkle with diced pepperoni and sausage, stir to combine – heating through. When mixture is cooked sprinkle with shredded mozzarella and let sit in the pan for a couple seconds until it melts.

Assemble burritos with the egg and meat mixture at the center of the tortillas.  Once all mixture is inside, fold the bottom portion of the tortilla, then fold in the sides, rolling to close.  Before closing feel free to garnish with any sauce of your choice (ketchup, salsa, hot sauce, etc.).

Bon appetite!


2 comments:

  1. I make breakfast burritos (usually with extra thin corn tortillas from Mission) almost exclusively for breakfast. :) the Soy Chorizo (at TJ) is also really good in tacos. I sometimes use the "less fattening" of the chorizo regular brand, but have to be really careful to measure because the point value can be a little cray cray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was looking at the TJ's Soy Chorizo but decided not to get it because I wasn't sure. I didn't like one of the meatless pulled chicken things I got so I was a little hesitant, but perhaps I'll give it a shot.

      Delete