Monday, June 17, 2013

Flo’s Hot Dogs



Since joining Weight Watchers, I decided eating regular hot dogs just isn’t quite worth it so I typically eat Turkey, Chicken or 97% fat free beef hot dogs.  Although there are a few occasions where I’ll have a regular hot dog – typically once a year at a cookout (if there isn’t anything I’d enjoy – like grilled chicken or steak).  BUT when heading into Maine there is a hot dog stand – Flo’s that makes THE world’s best hot dogs.

Flo’s is located on Route 1 in Cape Neddick Maine.  It’s a small little red building – when you come around the bend you can spot it because there are cars just piled up.  The shop is only open from 11-3 6 days a week.  You can read up about Flo’s on their website and even order their special relish: http://www.floshotdogs.com/.  I’ve purchased the relish to make my hot dogs at home and it truly just isn’t the same.

The hot dogs are made as you order them and the buns are steamed as well.  I ordered a House Special – which comes with mayonnaise (don’t knock it ‘til you try it!), Flo’s relish and celery salt. I opted to add onion to it because it’s just delish.  This combination makes the relish taste sweeter and out of the 2 I ordered this is my favorite combo. I also ordered a Loaded – which comes with mustard, green relish, Flo’s relish, onion and celery salt.  This combination makes the relish tangier.

Sure these two hot dogs cost me 19 points plus values BUT it was completely worth it.  Why? Because I don’t have them all the time, I was looking forward to them for almost a week and I thoroughly enjoyed it as a meal.

QUESTION:
What is one of your favorite “once in a while” meals which are a specialty to a particular area you visit?

No comments:

Post a Comment