Saturday, July 13, 2013

Pure Protein Vanilla Shake

Recently I’ve been in the market for protein shakes/drinks/supplements. I had surgery and nurse after nurse had been telling me to increase my protein intake because it would help my healing process smooth along a lot quicker.  Typically when I am uncomfortable, the last thing I want to do is think about what there is in the house to eat – let alone what I want to ask someone to make for me, or even muster up the courage to make it myself.  I’d tried a few other premade protein drinks in the past and haven’t been too keen on them (chalky, aftertaste, or just plain nasty) but when I spotted these Pure Protein Shakes at Trader Joe’s I decided to give the vanilla a shot before I bought anymore just to have on hand.

I admit, I don’t like to drink my points, I’d rather eat them.  But there are times where I just need protein because my body feels like its starving and I’m launched into what I refer to as “hungry horror mode.”  Having something that’s packed with protein certainly helps and this protein shake has 21 grams of protein in it – a lot more than the Boost version I had picked up at Target a whiles back.

After having it in the refrigerator for a few days, I took out the can, shook it up a bit and took a swig.  Surprisingly, it was good.  It’s a thinner beverage, but not too thin … not too thick, kind of middle of the road in thickness. It’s definitely vanilla cream – but it’s a smooth and creamy taste.  They remind me of a Weight Watchers protein powder drink, but just with double the amount of protein. There is a bit of an aftertaste, but nothing drastic or overwhelming and it goes away rather quickly.  I did find it was sustaining and I felt satisfied after drinking it and wasn’t hungry for a few hours after drinking it.

There is a chocolate variety available which is slightly higher in points.  The vanilla cream is only 2 points plus per can, which is amazing for a protein drink.  All that I’ve found have been 5-6 points plus values each, for premade drinks.  Next time I pop into Trader Joe’s I am definitely picking a few more of these up.  They’re a perfect hold over snack/beverage between meals.

QUESTION:
Have you tried any of the Pure Protein Shakes?

No comments:

Post a Comment