Thursday, July 4, 2013

Orange Dreamsicle Cake



I’ve been in a cake making frenzy lately.  After my lemon cake was a hit and was devoured in 2 days I decided to use up a cake mix I had in the cabinet as a bit of a “test cake” and it turned out to be a hit!  Everyone that had it loved it.  This time around I went with an orange cake mix – making it an ode to the orange creamsicle.  Orange cake, vanilla frosting – and the Orange Dreamsicle Cake was born!

I served my aunt a slice after a family BBQ and she told me out of all the foods she tried, my cake was the best thing she had eaten all day.

It’s quite tasty and as with my lemon cake, I do prefer this straight out of the fridge because it makes it nice and cool – quite refreshing in the intense heat of summer.



Serves 12. 6 Points Plus per slice.

Ingredients:
  • 1 box Duncan Hines Orange Dream cake mix
  • 1 can Diet Fresca (or any diet, clear colored soda)
  • 12 oz. Fat Free Cool Whip
  • 1 box Sugar Free Vanilla Pudding

Mix cake mix and diet soda in a large bowl. Stir to combine.

Spray 2 round cake pans with non-stick cooking spray. Divide batter into the two pans and bake per the box directions.
 
Empty whipped topping into a bowl, pour pudding mix over cool whip, and fold to combine.  When combined, transfer mixture into a bowl with a cover and place into the fridge to firm up.

Once cakes are cooled completely, place one cake onto a cake plate and smear some frosting onto the face side up portion of the cake (about ¼ or 1/3 of the frosting).  Place the other cake on top of the frosted side, then frost around the sides and top to seal everything together.

When done frosting, you can serve immediately or place into the refrigerator.  If the cake is not eaten in one sitting, do keep the cake in the refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment