Sunday, November 17, 2013

Spiced Chocolate Chip Walnut Muffins

Last week I whipped up a batch of Pumpkin Chocolate Walnut Muffins and they were such a hit they were gone in a couple days.  So being in the baking mood I decided to make a similar batch but using spice cake mix.  Spice cake is one of my favorite types of homemade cakes, but since I don’t always get to have it homemade, boxed is second best.  I used a very similar recipe to what I did with the pumpkin muffins, although with this batch I increased the amounts of some ingredients.

These came out perfect – they’re moist, delicious, and again another crowd pleaser. These were even given the stamp of approval from my 4 year old niece. I’d call that a success in my book.

4 Points Plus. Serves 16.
Ingredients:
  • 1 box Betty Cocker Super Moist Spice Cake Mix
  • 15 oz can Libby’s Pure Pumpkin
  • 3 tbsp egg whites
  • ½ cup water
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 4 tbsp chocolate chips (milk or semi-sweet)
  • 3 tbsp chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin tins with cupcake papers, each paper spritzed with non-stick cooking/baking spray.

In a large bowl mix together cake mix, pumpkin, egg whites, baking soda and water until blended and smooth.

Evenly distribute batter to each cupcake paper. I found large heaping tablespoons helped distribute the batter evenly, with the remainder being distributed throughout the cups.

In a small bowl mix together chocolate chips and walnuts, then evenly sprinkle over the top of each muffin. I used a ½ teaspoon to distribute.

Bake per box directions.  Cupcakes are done when a knife is inserted and comes out clean – roughly 15-18 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment