Thursday, November 7, 2013

Hungry Girl Candy Corn Popcorn Balls

I received an e-mail from Hungry Girl the week before Halloween which contained a few Halloween treats. Since we were going to have my niece and nephew over before and after Trick-or-Treating I figured I’d make a few desserts to have out.

When I saw the Hungry Girl Candy Corn Popcorn Balls I knew I had to make them. Popcorn balls have always been a fan favorite and I’ve found as I’ve gotten older they’re not something you can find in stores. Years ago popcorn balls were sold packaged individually for Halloween … but I haven’t seen them in a number of years. So I figured I’d give a go at making them.

Making the popcorn balls is quite simple. The most tedious task is standing at the stove and continuously mixing together the butter, candy corn and marshmallows until they are all melted.  The one thing I found to be tedious was when mixing together the additional candy corn and popcorn it gets VERY sticky, especially because the mixture isn’t over a direct flame. Because of this I ended up returning the mixture (even with the popcorn and candy corn) back to the stove to make it a little easier.

To form the popcorn balls, spraying them with non-stick cooking spray was a life saver. I will say … make sure you have someone around to help you because you do need to spray your hands again between almost every ball.  I let them set on parchment paper and when cooled to room temperature I transferred them to a parchment paper lined bowl.

The popcorn balls are INSANELY DELICIOUS! I thought they were fabulous and so did my guest. The leftovers I ended up eating truthfully, one every night for a sweet slightly salty snack. Perfect!

The greatest thing with these is that the recipe makes 10 popcorn balls and each popcorn ball is 111 calories or 3 points plus values!

You can find the recipe here: http://www.hungry-girl.com/weighin/show/2753

1 comment: