Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Carnival Squash

I am a bit fan of squash – it’s a vegetable I tend to eat all year round, but during the fall/winter months I have them more often because it’s a homey and delicious side dish.  So while at Trader Joe’s I spotted the Carnival Squash and decided to pick one up.  I figured due to its shape it had to be similar to the acorn squash … and I was right.

Carnival Squash is a winter squash which has a noticeable look to it – it’s yellow and green and the coloring can be “splattered” throughout or it will have green coloring running through the yellow.  The rind is thicker so it’s not a skin you could eat. The label on the squash stated you could pierce it a few times with a fork and cook it in the microwave, then slice, remove the seeds, stuff and finish cooking. But I opted to go with my handy oven roasting method.  I cut my squash in half, removed the seeds, gave it a light sprinkling of salt and pepper, then after a few sprays of butter I put it into a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.

My squash was cooked through and was perfect. The flesh tastes sweeter than acorn, almost reminiscent of a sweet potato and holds up nicely. I definitely enjoyed this and will pick it up again I spot it while out shopping.

QUESTION:
What is your favorite type of squash?

No comments:

Post a Comment