Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Pan Roasted Sweet Potatoes

A few weeks ago I was watching YouTube videos, catching up on some videos in my subscription box when I refreshed the page and decided to watch a new video by Laura Vitale. In case you don’t know who she is, she has a cooking channel on YouTube – where she also has a blog where all of her videos and corresponding recipes are posted.  I’ve been an avid watcher of Laura’s videos for a while and have wanted to try a few recipes but honestly haven’t gotten around to it.

But it just happened that I watched her roasted sweet potato video and a light bulb went off in my head. I had sweet potatoes on the counter that I had been meaning to use and since I had bacon in the fridge and we were planning on bacon for dinner. We’ve got a winner-winner chicken dinner!

I watched the video and maneuvered downstairs to the kitchen before I even checked her website. I followed the general gist of the recipe, but catered it to my tastes to make it “point friendly”. The end result was a completely delicious side dish and my boyfriend was a big fan … which I found to be surprising because he’s not a potato kind of guy.

Serves 4. 4 Points Plus Values.
Ingredients:
* 2 slices Trader Joe's Center Cut Bacon (or reduced fat bacon)
* 1 tbsp minced garlic
* 1 pound & 3 oz. uncooked, peeled sweet potatoes, cut into chunks
* 1 1/4 tsp olive oil
* Salt & Pepper, to taste

After potatoes are cut into chunks, layer onto a microwave safe dish all in one layer and microwave for 3-4 minutes.

In a large non-stick skillet, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon from pan and chop up, but do not discard residual bacon grease.

Add olive oil to bacon grease and add in microwaved potatoes. Make sure potatoes are all layered into the bottom of the pan and allow to cook for 5-6 minutes. Turn to continue cooking on the other side for an additional 5-6 minutes or until potatoes are cooked throughout.

Season potatoes with salt and pepper. Return chopped up bacon to the pan and toss -- then serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment