Thursday, November 14, 2013

McDonald’s Southwest Grilled Chicken Premium McWrap


I was awarded a Klout perk to try the new McDonald’s Southwest Grilled Chicken Premium McWrap. I was interested in trying it because I’ve tried the Sweet Chili Grilled Chicken McWrap and found I quite enjoyed that one. I figured with “southwest” in the title, it was going to be spicy.

The McWraps come in both grilled and crispy (fried). I always opt for the grilled version because I just find that to be more satisfying. The grilled sandwich itself is described as “Grilled chicken breast with cilantro lime glaze, crunchy tortilla strips, fresh spring greens, sliced tomato, shredded cheddar jack cheese, and a spicy, creamy habanero ranch sauce — wrapped up in a soft, warm flour tortilla.” Upon ordering my McWrap I opted to order it without cheese and tortilla strips because it was just a personal preference.

Bringing my sandwich home I unwrapped it and was anticipating it to be a little spicy … after all McDonald’s slogan on their nutrition page for the sandwich says “add a little spice to your day.” Now, I’m not a wimp when it comes to spice – I can pretty much handle my own.  I took one bite and it was okay, but rather plain because the sauce wasn’t on that part. I took another bite and whoooooo-weeee! It was spicy. I took another bite and my mouth was on fire.  After taking a fourth bite my nose was running, my mouth was in a blaze (I felt like I could breathe fire), and I was just overall uncomfortable. McDonald’s calls this sandwich spicy? This sandwich takes that statement to a WHOLE new level. In fact this should come with a warning because this is not for the faint of heart … nor is it for those who, like me, enjoy a pretty moderate level of spice in their food.  It was too spicy to be enjoyable, let alone palatable.

One day while out with my mother she mentioned something about the new McWrap.  She’s not a spice lover, so I told her to not even bother. I actually told her, I feel this sandwich could be fed to people on Fear Factor – except those folks would have to eat 5+ of these before their head blew off their shoulders from all the internal “steam”.

The grilled southwest McWrap as is without any substitutions is 520 calories or 14 points plus values.

The grilled southwest McWrap as I ordered it without cheese and tortilla strips is 430 calories or 11 points plus values.

If you wanted to order it without cheese but with the tortilla strips it would be 470 calories or 12 points plus values.

I can’t say I’d ever order this again … in fact, I’ll stay as far away from it as I can.

QUESTION:
Have you given the new Southwest McWrap a shot? If so, how’d it fare on your taste buds?

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree, way too spicy. My mouth was on fire and I downed two sodas trying to stop it. I think it took at least 30 minutes for the flames to die. It is a hundred times spicier than McDonald's Southwest Chicken Salad. I am not a spicy food lover and will never get the Southwest McWrap ever again. I liked the taste, but could not handle the fire. I'll just stick to the Southwest chicken salad.

    ReplyDelete