Saturday, May 18, 2013

Trader Joe’s Chicken Breast Medallions with Coconut Red Curry Sauce



One afternoon when I stumbled into Trader Joe’s to do a quick mini food haul for the week I happened to spot this Chicken Breast Medallions with Coconut Red Curry Sauce in the refrigerated food section.  I love curry (but I don’t like immensely hot curry).  Growing up my FAVORITE dish was Jamaican curry chicken. When I read that it was mixed with coconut I had to have it. I love coconut in foods (particularly coconut and red bean rice) so I figured if it was even spicy, the coconut would cut back on the heat.

It just happened to be this was the “dish of the day” they were serving up samples of.  I asked for a sample of it and immediately was in a food induced heaven.  It was delicious!  So delicious, I bought two packages.

Upon getting home, my boyfriend looked at the dish and wouldn’t eat it (he’s visual with his foods and the creamy sauce was a no-go).  Even though he didn’t want it, I was able to stash one in the freezer and heated the other up for dinner and lunch.

I do want to point out the nutrition label states the container houses FOUR 1 cup servings.  After heating it as directed, I found there was 1 ½ perhaps (if I really scrapped the bowl) 1 2/3 cups of chicken and curry sauce within the container.  No where near that 4 cups listed on the label.  I realize with frozen dishes the amount listed generally is listed as a “rough” estimate.  Because of this, I said the serving I ate was the equivalent of 2 cups – just doubling the amount and giving it extra points.  I’m not sure if perhaps the nutrition information was misprinted, or if perhaps the containers were made smaller than they should have been – but there are definitely not 4 servings present.  I’ve purchased this a few times (because I really do love the flavor!) and each time I double the nutrition information because I eat a cups worth.

I’ve eaten this paired along brown rice and a vegetable – I’ve also eaten it served over a bed of vegetables (green beans and carrots).  I’ve also eaten my serving of curry chicken along with a salad.  All ways are delicious but the rice with a veggie side is undoubtedly the best because it makes it feel “homier”.

1 cup serving according to the label is 4 Points Plus – but I calculate a 1 cup serving to be 7 points plus.

Confusing label aside – I give this 2 thumbs up!




No comments:

Post a Comment