Saturday, May 25, 2013

Pasta Salad


When spring and summer roll around this is one dish that is highly requested from me to bring to cookouts (as well as my simple tossed salad for some reason) and it’s such a simple recipe.  My boyfriend LOVES my pasta salad and if I ever mention the phrase “pasta salad” we typically end up having it that week in the fridge to pair against all of our meals.

It takes about 20 minutes to whip together and it does taste delicious straight out of the bowl after making it, but if you allow the flavors to marinate overnight in the fridge it really tastes 100% better.  If I do make this and have it for the next day, I do add a little more dressing to it just to make it wetter – but otherwise it’s perfect.

This is a great side to bring to a barbecue because this way you can rely on at least one side dish that you know is point friendly.  It’d also be great to have as a side dish with any meat – chicken, steak, sausage, hamburger, etc.

4 Points Plus Values per serving.  Serves 20.  Serving size is roughly 1/2 - 3/4 cup.

Ingredients:
  • 1 pound box of Barilla medium shells (or your favorite pasta brand)
  • 15.5 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed (note: if you prefer you can substitute white beans/ pinto/kidney/etc)
  • 7 3/4 oz can of chick peas, drained and rinsed
  • 15.5 oz can of low sodium corn, drained
  • 1 large red peppers (OR green), diced
  • ½ large red onion, diced
  • 1 cup frozen peas
  • 1 cup Wishbone Light Robusto Italian dressing
  • 1 oz (less than 1/2 the container) McCormick Perfect Pinch Salad Supreme seasoning (see here: http://www.mccormick.com/Spices-and-Flavors/Herbs-and-Spices/Blends/Perfect-Pinch-Salad-Supreme-Seasoning)

Bring a seasoned (with salt) pot of water up to boil and boil your pasta until al dente.

While your water is boiling dice up your red peppers (you can use red and green if you wish or green, I change it up depending what I have on hand) and set aside.  Dice up your red onion and set aside.

Drain your beans and rinse with water to get all the starchy water off and set aside. Drain your corn and set aside.  Add your frozen peas to the bowl and set aside.

When your pasta is finished boiling, drain and shock with cold water to stop the cooking process.  Drain well and add to a large bowl.  Add in chopped up fresh vegetables and stir to combine.  Add in canned beans, corn and peas and stir to combine.

You can begin to season with the McCormick Perfect Pinch Salad Supreme seasoning.  This is where you can use your own discretion. I season my pasta salad in 3 layers.  A sprinkle after I add in my veggies and combine.  I add in ½ cup of salad dressing and stir to combine – then start seasoning with additional salad supreme.  Once all mixed I add the remaining ½ cup of salad dressing and sprinkle in more salad supreme.  I don’t measure because I go by looking at the color of the mixture … I’d say I use about 1/5 to 1/4th of the container at a time.

Stir to combine and serve straight away or let the salad sit in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to let it get nice and cold.

No comments:

Post a Comment