Saturday, May 18, 2013

Homemade Steak & Cheese Pita Wraps

One of my Friday (or Saturday) night favorites pre-Weight Watchers was a steak and cheese with salad pita wrap from a local Lebanese restaurant. My uncle used to man the grill, so he always made sure they were on point with their deliciousness.  The sandwich came with steak and cheese, topped with tossed salad and the restaurants Lebanese dressing – it was then rolled up in the double layer of pita bread. It was undoubtedly delicious and completely filled with fat and unnecessary calories – especially to consume after 9pm at night (sometimes around midnight…)  We won’t even get into the side of steak fries I’d pick up to go ALONG with the sandwich.

I’ve decided that giving up some of my favorite foods just is not in the books for me.  BUT making them at home, in a healthier alternative totally IS in the books for me!  If I can make a dish at home – replicating a dish I enjoyed pre-Weight Watchers I do that as much as I can because it keeps me honest with my journey and it also allows me insight into what exactly I am consuming.

My local grocery store sells shaved steak. I typically pick up a couple packs when they go on sale (under $4/lb) and we make homemade steak and cheese (cheese on the side that is).  The meat is for the most part, relatively lean, but since there is some fat present (it typically renders off while cooking) I apply the points plus values of a t-bone sirloin to my serving of meat.

To cook the meat I spritz a little cooking spray in the bottom of the pan and the meat and then simply season it with a little black pepper and a pinch of salt.  The minimal seasoning is truly all you need because you want the natural flavor of the meat to shine through.

Typically, at home we always add peppers and onions to the meat mixture to bring in some moisture and an added level of flavoring.  The vegetables can be cooked stovetop OR they can be steamed in the microwave. Both ways work wonderfully. My vegetables I season – I like to add Mrs. Dash Garlic and Herb to it with some black pepper and a pinch of salt.  When the vegetables are done, I add them in with the meat.  If you’re a mushroom fan I would suggest adding mushrooms to the vegetable mixture – it gives it a great flavor.  Since my boyfriend doesn’t like mushrooms if I want them, I cook them separately.

My sandwich consisted of 3 ounces of beef, 1 slice of fat free American cheese, large fresh pita bread and a handful of tossed salad.  The whole wrap was 12 points plus and TOTALLY worth it.  I’m a ketchup girl with steak sandwiches, so I added a little ketchup to my sandwich before rolling it shut.

Who knew one could make a guilt driven delightful sandwich at home for no guilt and added taste? This girl did!

QUESTION:
What is one of your favorite dishes to make at home in homage of a dish you previously enjoyed?

No comments:

Post a Comment