Saturday, May 25, 2013

Birthday Dinner – Not Your Average Joe’s style



A local chain restaurant, Not Your Average Joe’s, has a really nice “reward” program for customers on their birthdays.  When you sign up for their e-mail club, you are e-mailed a certificate for a free dinner entrée and dessert – which is valid for a few weeks before and after your birthday.

What I typically order is no longer offered on the menu, which meant I had to figure out what I wanted to eat on the fly.  A quick glance over the menu I decided to go with the Java Pork Tenderloin.  I ordered the pork because it sounded yummy and I know in the back of my mind that pork tenderloin is one of the leanest meats and it was a step outside of the normal chicken box.

According to the menu, the Java Pork Tenderloin is a “rubbed with sumatran coffee with hints of smoky cedar and cinnamon, grilled and topped with orange chipotle bbq glaze, with mango jicama slaw and jalapeno spiked cornbread.”  Now, I am a coffee lover – so coffee rubbed meat? Count me in!  I ate probably ¼ of my food because I admit the bread and dipping oil reeled me in (I’m weak when it comes to Not Your Average Joe’s onion bread and parmesan hot pepper oil).

The nutrition information for this meal is not provided on the website so I had to wing what I assumed to be the points plus values. I guestimated 11 points plus for the pork, 3 points plus values for the slaw and 14 points plus values for the corn bread (because it was HUGE). I ate about a fourth and ended up putting the rest in the fridge.  By the next day, the slaw was a little soggy and the corn bread was wet so I was left with the pork loin – which I was secretly happy for because the cornbread would have been screaming at me “EAT ME!”

For dessert I ordered my staple Crème Brûlée Cheesecake.  Since it was to go, it was sans whipped cream and raspberries (they were replaced with strawberries which I enjoy more).  According to the menu, “we’ve blended the most popular desserts—creamy cheesecake with a caramel drizzle, fresh whipped cream and raspberries.”  I’m glad this is a staple on their menu because I had it last year for my birthday and fell in love (I normally don’t order desserts unless we’re at a Greek restaurant). It’s just delicious and my boyfriend also enjoys it – so it’s great to be able to share my sweets with my sweet!  The whole slice of cheesecake is calculated to be 13 points plus values.

QUESTION:
Are you comfortable eating out at restaurants and/or having to change your mind on a food choice on the fly?



No comments:

Post a Comment