Saturday, May 25, 2013

Chocolate Cherry Cake



For my birthday I did not want a store bought cake. I would rather have a cake made for me at home because 1) I would know exactly what was going in it and I could figure out the points and 2) even though I love cake, I prefer homemade cakes so much more over store bought cakes.  I decided a chocolate cherry cake would be phenomenal and it would also be a crowd pleaser (which is always welcomed because it makes less food/dessert lying around)!

The great thing about this recipe is that not only is it incredibly Weight Watchers friendly, but it’s simple to make, moist, delicious and nobody will know its points plus friendly!  My boyfriend was in heaven, I was in heaven and even my mother and neighbors daughter were raving about the cake.

Serves 12. 4 Points Plus values/serving.

Ingredients:
  • 15.25 oz Betty Crocker Super Moist Chocolate Fudge Cake Mix
  • No Sugar Added Cherry Pie Filling (I used the Walmart brand because the sugar free Comstock isn’t sold at my local grocery store)
  • 2 eggs
  • ¼ cup water
  • Non-stick Cooking spray

Preheat oven to 350 (or whatever temperature is listed on the back of your cake mix box depending on how you decide to bake these - whether in a cake pan, cupcake pan or bundt pan).

In a large bowl mix together the cake mix, cherry pie filling and eggs in a large bowl. Blend well until combined.  If your mix isn’t combining completely or is too “fudgy” add in the ¼ cup water and mix well to combine.

Spray your pan with non-stick cooking spray and pour the cake batter into the pan. Smooth out the top and bake per the box directions.  My oven cooks fast, so my cake was done in 27 minutes.

Let the cake cool completely and then cut into 12 even pieces.

I topped my slice with 2 tablespoons of fat free cool whip making it a completely guilt-free treat.  The cake is even delicious the day after because it is VERY moist.



1 comment:

  1. this was good. I didn't have sugar free pie filling so made some with a can of tart cherries, cornstarch and splenda. I had extra juice and used that instead of water. It was nice and moist. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete