Monday, May 20, 2013

Trader Joe’s Black Bean & Corn Enchilada

I picked up a package of Black Bean & Corn Enchiladas from Trader Joe’s a while back and the package had been sitting in my freezer.  I actually forgot that I had purchased them, but earlier in the week it was around lunch time and I was quite hungry. My boyfriend wasn’t, so it meant anything that was quick and easy was right up my alley.  I spotted the package in the freezer and decided wah-lah, lunch!  I’ve dabbled into vegetarian dishes and have found quite a few that I enjoy – but per the norm, I always go into the first bite with quite a good amount of hesitation.  I’ve always been so used to meat being a part of every meal.  But this had black beans and corn in it – two of my favorite things so I figured it had to be somewhat good.

Never mind, somewhat good – these turned out to be delicious!  They’re made with organic white corn tortillas and are rolled up with a corn and black bean mixture, which is then topped with a classic enchilada sauce. While they were cooking in the oven, my boyfriend came downstairs and said “Mexican?”  They are quite fragrant while they are cooking and very flavorful when you eat them.  They’re not spicy, I didn’t even find it to be hot but to a very bland palette these may be on the mild side?  The black beans and corn balance with the sauce so well and the corn tortillas are just delicious and filling.

I paired the meal off with a small side salad and it was a perfect lunch.  According to the nutrition information the container houses 2 servings – but I decided to just eat both.  Ideally if you were eating only one, it would be 3 weight watchers points plus values – but if you decided to eat both it’s 7 points plus values.

QUESTION:
Have you tried these particular enchiladas from Trader Joe’s?


5 comments:

  1. Hi Shannon and congratulations on your weight loss! 190 pounds is amazing... keep up the good work! Just wanted to say that I tried these black bean and corn enchiladas tonight for dinner. I agree with you that they are delicious. I did top them off with a super spicy cilantro-serrano pepper mixture so I don't know if the enchiladas were mild or not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! These are delicious - I actually have another pack in my freezer for a lunch for me one day. The enchiladas weren't mild in my opinion - they were enchiladas. I've certainly had spicier in my past but I felt they were palatable enough that they weren't plain or anything.

      Delete
  2. These enchiladas have not been available for 2 weeks at my TJs. I'm worried; they are a staple for me. They appear to have been replaced by 99% fat-free rice and bean burritos--mushy textured filling, edible but not worth the calories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had you asked anyone if they were out of stock and if not, bring some extra in? I know for a while I had the hardest time finding my bacon ... I thought it was discontinued. Turns out management was only buying 1 case and people would buy it out before the day was done and it'd be out of stock for weeks again.

      Delete
  3. I have also not found them at my Houston Texas store. I asked a stocker and they said they were discontinued. Not happy. As I researched this online, I found posts where this item was "discontinued" in the past only to return. I do hope that is the case with these. I know Trader Joes will stop selling items when they are renegotiating supply contracts so hopefully that is what this situation is. It is unfortunate for the vendor because as customers it gives us the opportunity to find a replacement that we may like better from another grocer.

    ReplyDelete