Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Wild blueberry, banana walnut muffins




I adapted this recipe from Weight Watchers community.  The recipe is listed as the Healthy Blueberry Banana Nut Muffin: http://www.weightwatchers.com/food/rcp/RecipePage.aspx?recipeid=294527280.  The only thing I altered was the fact I used frozen wild blueberries in my recipe instead of regular blueberries.

My boyfriend absolutely LOVES blueberry muffins and sometimes I get a mild eye twitch when he goes to Dunkin Donuts to get a blueberry muffin (because honestly how do they get all that FAT into a muffin?!).  Plus with muffins, it’s a great, simple breakfast/snack and I find when we have folks over offering someone a muffin (and mentioning they’re “healthy”) they tend to go faster.  Meaning I don’t have to be tempted for longer than necessary ;).

I will say while baking these my kitchen smelled amazing, you get that delicious banana, blueberry scent.  They puffed up nicely and had a very nice delicious texture AND taste.  Folks who don’t even follow Weight Watchers (and even those that shun Weight Watchers recipes) told me that these were really good muffins.

So, take THAT Dunkin Donuts!

Here is the recipe just incase you cannot access it on the Weight Watchers website:

Serves: 18
  • 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
  • ½ teaspoon cinnamon (since I like cinnamon I did a whole teaspoon)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 large ripe bananas, mashed
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 cup wild blueberries, slightly defrosted
  • 2 cups whole wheat flour
  • 1 ¼ cups natural apple sauce (no sugar added)
  • 1 cup chopped walnuts
  • Cooking spray

You want to bake these in a 350 degree oven, cooking in a lightly greased (with cooking spray) muffin tins.

In a large bowl mix the flour, brown sugar, walnuts, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda.

In another bowl mix the bananas, eggs, apple sauce and vanilla extract.

Mix the banana mixture into the flour mixture until it’s smooth – then fold in the blueberries.

Spoon the batter into the muffin tins (18 muffins).  Bake in the oven for roughly 16 minutes or until a toothpick is inserted into the middle and it comes out clean.

QUESTION:
What is your favorite muffin flavor?

No comments:

Post a Comment