Monday, April 29, 2013

Lasagna in a Bun

I adapted this recipe from a recipe posted on the Taste of Home website: (See original Recipe here: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Easy-Lasagna-in-a-Bun )

It looked so good I decided to make it at home, although I did not follow the recipe to a T. I made my meat mixture and cheese mixture as I would with regular healthier flare on lasagna and I really enjoyed the way it turned out! I also used regular deli "sub" bread since I could not find hoagie rolls. It was SO delicious I ate it for a couple days. I loved how the bread acted as the pasta for the dish, it was just nice and crunchy and yumminess all around!

Now here's how I changed up the recipe:

·         1 pound 93% lean ground beef
·         1 cup Kraft Fat Free Shredded mozzarella, divided
·         ¼ cup egg substitute
·         ¼ packet Lipton onion soup mix
·         3/4 cup fat free-ricotta
·         ½ tablespoon minced garlic
·         1 can diced tomatoes, drained
·         1 8 oz. can of tomato sauce
·         2 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
·         Pinch of black pepper (to taste)
·         Pinch of salt (to taste)
·         Garlic powder (to taste)
·         2 tablespoons Italian seasoned bread crumbs
·         8 sub rolls

I cooked my lean beef with minced garlic and chopped onion. When cooked, I added in a can of drained diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and seasoned with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and garlic powder.

I then made my cheese mixture by combining ricotta cheese, ½ the shredded mozzarella, egg, substitute, black pepper, a pinch of salt and a sprinkling of Italian flavored bread crumbs in a bowl and mixed well.

To combine I layered some of this cheese mixture onto one side of the bread, adding the meat onto the other side and rolled the sandwich up in tinfoil and baked in a 400* oven until done (roughly 15-20 minutes depending on how fast your oven cooks).

Since my boyfriend does not like cheese his sandwich just had the meat mixture on it.

This was SUCH a great meal and was such interesting twist on a classic.

Each sandwich was 9 points plus each.

Do note, sandwich breads have different nutritional information – I used my local Super markets brand of bread (which was 5 points per ‘loaf’).

No comments:

Post a Comment