Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Open Faced Tuna Melt



The other day I had a real hankering for a tuna fish sandwich.  Since I am not the biggest fan of seafood I’ve always incorporated vegetables into my tuna fish.  I also switch up how I eat my tuna (sometimes over a bed of lettuce, sometimes on bread, etc.).  This time I decided to just reach for my craving and make me exactly what I was looking for.

To make my tuna fish I use:

  • 1 can of solid white tuna fish (albacore), flaked
  • 3 tablespoons light mayonnaise
  • 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 1 stalk celery, diced & chopped (note: this was excluded this time because I did not have celery in the fridge)
  • Pepper (to taste)
  • Salt (to taste)
  • Pickles, diced (note: again optional, but I incorporated these into my mixture because I was without celery)
  • 1 slice fat free american cheese
  • 2 slices light Italian bread, toasted

After all my ingredients were mixed, I layered it onto each half of the bread and split the cheese over the top.  Typically you could toast the bread and melt the cheese on a warmed skillet with spray butter, or you could slide the open faced sandwich into the toaster oven to melt the cheese.  I put this into the microwave for 10 seconds just to soften the cheese and I was happy enough with the result because it did not make the tuna warm it just made the cheese gooey.

Points Plus wise the whole sandwich was 8 points plus values – the tuna mixture is 5 points plus, the cheese was 1 points plus and the bread was 2 points plus.

QUESTION:
Do you like tuna melts?

No comments:

Post a Comment