Monday, April 29, 2013

Dinner: Whole Wheat Beef & Bean Stuffed Burritos

I decided to make stuffed burritos at home one night, so I picked up an Oretega burrito mix at Target and I will say – honesty, next time I will make them with taco seasoning because the Ortega burrito seasoning was FAR too spicy. So spicy indeed I had to add some sour cream to the meat in hopes of muting the spice, but even that didn’t help.

We had a few people over for dinner and everyone mentioned how spicy they were.  I felt bad; my boyfriend couldn’t even finish his because the spice was just killing his taste buds.  I fought through the burn because outside of JUST the spice they were delicious.. They would have been a homerun if I substituted taco mix (which I originally planned on using) until I spotted the burrito mix.

Hoping to further mute the spiciness of the seasoning pack, I layered refried beans into the tortilla shells – which helped a bit.

Here’s what I used:

  • 1 pound 93% lean ground turkey
  • 1 packet reduced sodium Ortega Burrito seasoning
  • 5 tablespoons fat free sour cream
  • 1 can fat-free refried beans
  • 1 pack Trader Joe’s Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas
  • Joseph’s Flax Oat Bran & Whole Wheat Flour Tortillas

I had some Trader Joe’s Whole Wheat Tortilla shells I wanted to use up, so I filled those with 2 ounces of meat to 1 tablespoon of fat free refried beans.

With the remaining mixture I mixed those onto the Joseph’s wraps using 4 ounces of meat mixture  and 1/3 cup refried beans).  I personally found these to be more palatable because the s[ice was minimized.

I paired the burritos with a simple tossed salad.

The Joseph’s wraps were 9 points plus for the 2,whereas the Trader Joe’s wraps were 8 points plus for 2.

QUESTION:
Have you ever made burritos at home?

No comments:

Post a Comment