Sunday, April 28, 2013

New England Style Roast Beef Dinner (Take-Out)



In the New England area there are two styles of roast beef.  Cold (which you can get from the deli at a market OR if you’re at a sandwich shop it’s listed under “cold sandwiches”) or hot (which is typically sold at certain roast beef sandwich shops because the roast beefs are slow cooked all day, shaved upon order and put onto a roll).

I don’t enjoy cold roast beef --- but I on the other hand I LOVE hot roast beef.  Hot roast beef sandwiches are typically made with BBQ sauce (a particular brand, it’s runnier than regular BBQ sauce and spicy), but folks can also order them with horseradish, mustard and mayonnaise– as well as sides such as lettuce, tomato, onion, and cheese.  I was craving a roast beef sandwich and it sounded delicious to my boyfriend so we decided that was going to be what was for dinner. Hot roast beef sandwiches (typically) come in 3 sizes, junior, large and super (which means it’s served on an onion roll).

Since we were having dinner with my mom we ordered a roast beef dinner – which came with a small size salad, onion rings and French fries for all to share.  Sandwiches – we ordered a junior with sauce and cheese, a super with mustard and onion and a super with bbq sauce, horseradish, onion, lettuce and tomato.

About 3 bites in and I was TKO’d, so I ended up putting my sandwich into the fridge and enjoying it as a s few smaller meals the next day.  Since I only ate, not even ¼ I said it was 5 points plus – typically, if I was to eat the whole thing (due to the BBQ sauce and the roll) I say it’s anywhere between 18-19.  And if I want to get technically, I DO sometimes take the meat off the bun and weigh it.

As a side note, I do make hot roast beef sandwiches at home --- but the cheap mans way out. I take thin and trim deli roast beef and lightly warm it up in the oven/toaster oven and then add my condiments to it.  It’s then a much “healthier” alternative because I’m using point friendly items.  But nonetheless – both ways are delicious!

QUESTION:
Have you ever had a New England style roast beef sandwich?


No comments:

Post a Comment