Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Trader Joe's Oven Ready Breaded Cod Fillets

Every once in a while I'm in the mood for fish. I'm not a seafood buff but I do like an occasional piece of fried fish. Since I don't like having fried foods very often, I typically resort to the frozen fish department in Trader Joe's to see what might be available. One afternoon I spotted the Trader Joe's Oven Ready Breaded Cod Fillets and decided to give them a shot.
 
Usually I go for haddock because I'm a white fish kind of gal, but since I have had fried cod in the past I figured eh, why not? The fillets are pretty decent in size and cooking is a breeze. All I do is spray a little non-stick spray in a baking pan, place my fish in the pan and top the fillets with a spray of non-stick cooking spray. I pop them into the oven and bake per package directions and once done they come out cooked to perfection with a nice crunchy crust. I definitely don't miss the extra frying with this because it gives it that nice crunch with fried fish dishes.
 
The fish is nice and flaky without that fish taste. It's very mild and pairs perfectly with a little homemade tartar sauce on the side.  The one downside I found was that the skin was on some fillets, which made the picky eater in me shudder and pick apart the fish - giving the skinned pieces of fish to my dogs. That alone was a downer because it would be a perfect fish dish for the picky fish eaters. Although, if you can get past the skin in a fillet here or there - these are quite good and filling.
 
A 5.3 oz serving (typically 2 fillets) is 280 calories or 7 points plus values.

No comments:

Post a Comment