Monday, January 5, 2015

Trader Joe's Beet Hummus

Beets are one of my favorite vegetables. I love them in salad, on the side with my dinner or just as a simple little snack. Needless to say when I spotted the Trader Joe's Beet Hummus I was immediately intrigued and had to incorporate it into my week.

Due to the sheer deep purple shade to the hummus I believed 1) you'd have to undoubtedly love beets to enjoy it and 2) you'd have to really love hummus/chick peas in order to enjoy this. Upon first taste that theory was very much true. The hummus is blended with with fresh beets - while there are little diced up pieces on top of the hummus mixture for some added flare/texture.
Texture wise it's slightly "gritty" and not as smooth as traditional hummus. While there is a slight graininess to the dish, it is thinner in consistency. It's not runny, but it's certainly not as thick as your traditional or even flavored hummus dishes. I enjoyed the hummus alongside a protein-filled salad. Delicious and quite unique!

A serving, 2 tablespoons, is 45 calories or 1 points plus values.

3 comments:

  1. Beets are one of my faves, too! I never understood how other people couldn't like them, lol. Thanks for sharing this with us--I'll have to check it out next time I'm at Trader Joe's. What are some of your favorite things to pair with this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved it on salads (chicken salad or even a hamburger), or on pita with some salad stuffed into it. Delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love beets, but found this rather lacking in beety-goodness. It tasted like hummus for sure, but I have had other beet hummus with more beet flavour. I was a little disappointed.

    ReplyDelete