Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Chipotle Chorizo Sauce



I purchased a package of Al Fresco Chipotle Chorizo chicken sausage (see here) at the grocery store. I’ve honestly never tried chipotle chorizo sausage in the past, but I’ve heard it’s a great flavorful meat selection. Al Fresco makes a line of one of my favorite chicken sausages, so I decided to give it a whirl.  The chipotle chorizo sausage actually is mixed with mango and adobo. Taking it out of the freezer I wasn’t quite sure what I was going to do with it or how I was going to serve it.  After some thinking I decided on making a simple little sauce to serve with spaghetti squash and pasta.

The sauce was perfect. The sausage brought a level of heat to the dish which was unique and delicious.  Those with a blander palette may not enjoy this dish, but if you’re a fan of a bit of heat this may be right up your alley.

I served mine over spaghetti squash, which I topped with some fat free mozzarella. It was perfect, spicy and filling!

Serves 4. 5 Points Plus Values.
Ingredients:
  • 1 package (4 links) Al Fresco All Natural Chipotle Chorizo Chicken Sausage, sliced
  • 26 oz canned crushed tomatoes
  • 2 medium bell peppers, sliced
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 tbsp minced garlic
  • 1 tsp garlic powder
  • 1 tsp salt
  • ½ tsp black pepper
  • 1 tsp dried oregano
  • 1 tsp Cajun seasoning

In a large non-stick pan sprayed with non-stick cooking spray, over medium high heat add in sliced sausages and cook on both sides until crisped.

Once sausage is browned, place in a bowl and set aside.  Add onions, garlic and peppers to the pan. Season vegetables with black pepper, salt, garlic, oregano and Cajun seasoning. Cook until onions are slightly translucent and peppers are a bold green shade (the onions should be softer, but the peppers slightly crunchy).

Add sausage and any juices into the pan then add in canned tomatoes. Stir to combine.

Allow the sauce to simmer for 5-10 minutes.

Adjust seasonings to your liking.


No comments:

Post a Comment