Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Trader Joe’s Chicken Chow Mein



I picked up this bag of frozen Trader Joe’s Chicken Chow Mein on one of my last run-throughs. I’ve been trying to find quick and easy meals that we could stick in the freezer for days where dinner isn’t quite planned out perfectly or for days where quick and easy is necessary. I have purchased this in the past and enjoyed it so much that I made sure to repurchase it (and will continue to repurchase).

In my area this dish is called lo mein, whereas chow mein in my area is more along the lines of a dish made out of thickened gravy, bean sprouts and veggies. Fun fact aside …

This chicken chow mein dish literally took about 8 minutes to cook and it is absolutely DELICIOUS! The package calls for a tablespoon of olive oil to be added to the bottom of a skillet and I have done that in the past, but I find a spritz of non-stick cooking spray to the bottom of a non-stick skillet does the trick (depending on how it’s cooking I add in about a tablespoon of water after about 5 minutes of cooking). Once the skillet is heated through, assembly is easy … open bag and dump the contents into the pan (not including the package of sauce). Cover the pan with a lid and let it do its thing … stirring occasionally. I toss the sauce packet in a bowl of warm water so it defrosts but it would probably defrost naturally just sitting out because it’s not a frozen solid block. The noodles take a little while to break apart but I had no problem with burning, etc. Everything cooked perfectly and evenly. Once it’s all heated through, all that’s left to do is open the sauce packet and stir it in. Literally 30 seconds after that, dinner is complete and ready to be served.

This is hands down one of the best frozen dishes available at Trader Joe’s! It takes having “Chinese food at home” to a whole new level. The dish is fabulous, the noodles are al dente, the chicken is perfect and white meat, the vegetables are plentiful and the sauce just brings it all together. The whole dish comes together perfectly and has been a crowd pleaser in my household for over a year.

The package states it contains 3 servings but it can also easily be made into two meals, or split into 3 meals (when split into 3 evenly it’s a little less than the amount intended per serving on the label). A fresh steamed vegetable and another side (spring rolls, egg rolls, etc.) make this a perfect complete meal.

A serving is 189 grams, which is 210 calories or 5 points plus values.



1 comment:

  1. I add in Trader Joe's Asian Stir Fry Vegetables for extra veggies

    ReplyDelete