Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Trader Joe’s Battered Fish Nuggets



Even though I’m not a big fan of seafood, I do enjoy fried fish from time to time. While at Trader Joe’s, I spotted they had a selection of frozen fish available and decided to give one a try. Since I tend to stand behind Trader Joe’s products I felt it couldn’t be too bad … so I asked an employees recommendation to help me choose between the two different boxes I was trying to decide between. The employee told me that he personally really enjoys the fish nuggets ... so with that, the Trader Joe’s Battered Fish Nuggets went into my cart.

One early afternoon I decided to put some fish into the oven to have for lunch. I followed the cooking directions but spritzed non-stick cooking spray on top of the frozen fish nuggets before putting them into the oven.  I cooked them for the recommended time and took them out. Whipped up a little bowl of homemade tartar sauce (1 ½ tablespoons Hellmann’s Light mayonnaise and sweet relish), a drop of ketchup on my plate and it was lunch time!

The fish itself is made of Alaskan Pollock – which uniquely is a fish I have never had before.  Alaskan Pollock has a milder taste, is white in color and has lower oil content.  The nuggets are battered in a light, crispy batter so you’re awarded with a nice portion of fish and not a chunk of batter and a dime size piece of fish.  The fish has a “greasy” quality to it and by that I mean it’ll make your fingers feel a little slick, but it’s not greasy in taste, etc. It’s got a very reminiscent texture and feel to deep fried fish, which I appreciated because that is what I am used to.  Taste wise, this is delicious – it’s not fishy (which I appreciate) and it’s very filling.  A handful of baked French fries to go alongside these and it would be a go-to meal for me whenever I’m in the mood for fried fish. Definitely a winner and a homerun.

A serving is just about four pieces (4 ounces), but I found with the size pieces I had I could have 4 ½ pieces for 4 ounces.  The serving is 190 calories, which is 5 points plus values.

QUESTION:
What is one of your favorite frozen fish dishes?

No comments:

Post a Comment